Can I Convert my RV's 30 Amp Electrical Service To 50 Amps?

by Dick

I have a 30 amp land feed to my RV and a 7kw generator. I want to install a 50 amp transfer switch and convert the 30 amp to 50 amp land supply with the appropriate 50 amp plug and power cord. Is this possible without tearing everything out and starting over? If the generator can put out 70 amps, it seems this could be done.


ANSWER: Greetings Dick thanks for submitting your question on our Ask An RV Question Page.

Yes it can be done. Will you have to tear some things up? Yes. Can you do it yourself? Yes you can if you are comfortable with rewiring your RV's electrical system.

Have other RVer's done this? Yes, Bob and Mary Hatch are full-time RVers and they have a website. On that website Bob shows step by step how he converted his Motorhome from 30 amps to 50 amps.

Leave your RV repair bills to us—Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Once you have viewed what is involved, you will have to decide if you can do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you and whether it is worth your money and time to do the conversion.

Good luck on your project.

Do you have any suggestions or comments on this topic? You can add them to this page by clicking on the "Click Here To Post Comments" link located near the bottom of this page.

Protect your RV and your family while on the road: Join Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service Today and save!

Happy RVing

RVing Al

P.S. Did You Know that you can build your own Web Page on Everything About RVing? Just Tell Us Why You Love RVing, Share An RVing Tip Or Trick, Tell Us About Your Favorite Camping Or RVing Destination or Share a Funny RVing Story With Us.

Click here to post comments

Return to Ask an RV Question.