How Can I Plug A 15 Amp Plug Into A 50 Amp Campground Outlet?

by Walt Witkowski
(Deptford , N.J. US)

Campground has 50 amp female connector.

1 1 50amp female

I would like to convert to household female connector for use with common household male plug.

1 1

What is the best way to do this? Is there a one piece connector that just plugs in or do I need multiple parts.
Parts suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

ANSWER: Greetings Walt thanks for submitting your question on our Ask An RV Question Page.

Yes you can do what you want but you are going to need two RV Dogbone Adapters. Listed below are the Adapters you need.

1. You need a 50 amp male to 30 amp Non-Twist RV Dogbone Adapter.

2. The second Adapter you need is a 30 Amp male Non-Twist to 15 amp female RV Dogbone Adapter.

You do not want to use any adapter that says 30 Amp Twist as that is a different type of plug.

You can get the Dogbone Adapters at the retailer listed below.

RV Dogbone Adapters From All of these Adapters have "Buy It Now Prices" so you do not have to do any bidding on them.

Hope this information helps.

Do you have any suggestions or comments on this topic? You can add them to this page by clicking on the "Click Here To Post Comments" link located near the bottom of this page.

Happy RVing

RVing Al

Comments for How Can I Plug A 15 Amp Plug Into A 50 Amp Campground Outlet?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

If there is a need, there is a product.
by: Anonymous

Home Depot(Canada Only) sells an adapter that safely converts a 50A female outlet to a female 15A outlet. The adapter is al CSA approved, which is like UL in the US. I don't know why UL has not provided approval for such an adapter in the US, but hopefully they will soon. I have provided you the link to Home Depot, but this item is sold online in many other places. Perhaps you can purchase it online.


Be careful or get UL to approve such an adapter
by: Anonymous

You realize that this will be very, very dangerous. The 50 amp female park outlet can only be connectd safely using something that is fused properly, to only allow a max of 15 amps to flow out of it and into your 15 amp device. Basically you would be creating a branch circuit, with an inline fuse rated for 15 amp max with the appropriate interupting capacity, so that it won't blow up if and when it is tripped.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Ask an RV Question.