FTC Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through some of the links in this article for more information, visit our Advertising Disclosure Page.

You can subscribe to the Everything About RVing YouTube Channel for some great videos about RVing

What Is The Red Switch Under The Thermostat In My RV For?

by Larry

I just purchased a 2003 Trail Bay by R-Vision. There is a switch on the wall under the thermostat (has Atwood on it). When I flip it on it lights up red and there is a sound that seems to come from under the refrigerator or near the water heater.

The unit has an Atwood water heater and an Atwood furnace. The Atwood water heater is gas/electric. Would this have something to do with switching from gas to electric? I can find no information whatsoever in the manual. The water heater needs to be replaced so I can't fill it and see what the switch does. Any ideas?

ANSWER: Greetings Larry thanks for submitting your question on our Ask An RV Question Page.

My best educated guess is that the switch is for your water heater.

You are probably hearing a popping or clicking sound and that is in all likelihood is the electric ignition on the Water Heater trying to ignite the propane burner on your water heater.

Leave your RV repair bills to us—Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Again, I am only guessing the only way you will know for sure is when you replace your RV Water Heater.

Hope this helped.

Do you have any suggestions or comments on this topic? You can add them to this page by clicking on the "Click Here To Post Comments" link located near the bottom of this page.

Protect your RV and your family while on the road: Join Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service Today and save!

Happy RVing

RVing Al

P.S. Did You Know that you can build your own Web Page on Everything About RVing? Just Tell Us Why You Love RVing, Share An RVing Tip Or Trick, Tell Us About Your Favorite Camping Or RVing Destination or Share a Funny RVing Story With Us.

Comments for What Is The Red Switch Under The Thermostat In My RV For?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Not for the water heater
by: Anonymous

I also have this switch under my thermostat. It is not for the water heater. The switch for my water heater is in the kitchen on the wall by the kitchen sink. It is an off and on switch.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Ask an RV Question.