The 30 Amp Plug on My RV Melted
by Margitt Conklin
Camco 30-Amp Power Grip Plug
Thank you in advance for your help, we have a 2013 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M that we have had out several times and never had a problem with but last weekend was the first time we needed our air conditioning on all of the time due to the 90 plus degree temp and humidity.
We were at a campground that we have visited before and even used the same campsite 2 weeks prior without this problem. We were hooked up to the 30 amp power at the campsite and when we unplugged we noticed that the plug prongs were discolored and the plastic melted around them from the RV plug casing (no extension cords used).
Was this caused by the air conditioner running all weekend? My husband asked me if I had used my blow dryer or microwave along with the A/C being on and I did use the microwave for 5 minutes the night we arrived.
Leave your RV repair bills to us—Good Sam Extended Service Plan
We noticed no electrical problems in the house during that weekend or after we got home and plugged in.
ANSWER: Hi Margitt thanks for submitting your question on our Ask An RV Question Page.
First, you will be happy to know that nothing you did caused the 30 Amp plug on your RV to melt. Your RV is a 30 Amp RV and by design you should be able to run your built-in accessories such as the Air conditioner, Microwave, TV, etc. at the same time. The most common causes of a melted
RV plug are:Low Voltage:
If there is low voltage at the Shore Power connection at the RV park and the demand becomes too high it can produce enough excessive heat to actually melt down the plug. If the voltage becomes really low it can damage your RV's appliances. It is not uncommon to have low voltage issues at RV Parks.
Using a Plug In AC Voltage Monitor
in your RV will let you know right after you plug in at a campground whether you have a high or low voltage problem in the Shore Power connection you are plugged into. Corroded or Loose Connections in the RV plug or shore power receptacle:
These corroded or loose connections can cause electrical arcing which can produce excessive heat causing damage to the plug as well as the power cord itself.
If your 30 Amp plug is damaged you should get a Replacement 30 Amp Plug such as the Camco 30-Amp Power Grip Plug
pictured at the top of this page. The second picture at the top of this page shows how simple this plug is to wire. When you are replacing the plug make sure that you inspect the wiring in the cord itself to make sure there was no damage.
I hope this helps.
Do you have any suggestions or comments on this topic? You can add them to this page by clicking on the "Click Here To Post Comments" link located near the bottom of this page.
Over 1,500,000 successful roadside rescues. Good Sam Roadside Assistance.